North Bay Indigenous Hub -Employment Opportunity
CASUAL (COMP #2021-05-28)
Under the direction and supervision of the Child Care Supervisor, the Education Assistant is responsible to support the delivery of early learning and development of children's programing and the Childcare Center operations. The Education Assistant will partner with the RECE to plan and implement a full-day early learning program within a classroom setting which will enhance children's cognitive, physical, social and emotional development.
The ideal candidate will work in a dynamic, collaborative, team environment. Be flexible and organized; possess excellent written and verbal communication skills; and the ability to effectively interact with young children, parents, teachers, and team members.
While there is no guarantee of hours per week as this is a casual position, a casual employee with full availability could work full-time (up to 37.5 hours per week) depending on need.
- Experience working with groups of school aged children in a formal setting.
- Registered Early Childhood Educator (RECE), Child and Youth Worker/Child and Youth care (CYW/ CYC) or Ontario Certified Teacher (OCT), considered an asset.
- Knowledge or passion for learning of Indigenous culture, history and ways of being, knowledge of Indigenous language is an asset.
- Original Vulnerable Sector Criminal Reference Check, dated within the last three months.
- Up-to-date immunization records.
- A valid Standard First Aid Certificate, with level C CPR.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Well-developed problem solving skills.
- Positive and sensitive attitude towards children and staff.
- Flexible and energetic approach to work.
- Knowledge of the Ministry of Education's pedagogy " How Does Learning Happen?", or willing to learn,
- Physically able to participate with children in the gym and outdoors and set up program equipment.
- Basic ability to use technology (including smart phones, computers, tablets).
- Able to bend, stoop and lift child to adult height (up to 441bs) and to move children's furniture or equipment to prepare room for programming needs.
- Ability to spend most of the day at the child's level, e.g. sitting on the floor or on child height chairs.
- Ability to take initiative in preparing for routines that support daily activities such as preparing area for mealtimes and clean up and getting strollers ready for walks.
- Ability to follow policies, procedures, and instruction s from Supervisor and ECE team member with accuracy.
- Availability to work flexible shifts to meet programming needs, operational hours from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Support ECE teachers in carrying out programs that promote the physical, cognitive, emotional, and social development of children.
- Providing culturally based early learning and development programs.
- Engage children in activities by telling stories, teaching songs, assisting teachers preparing daily activities.
- Always observe and monitor children.
- Assist with lunch/snacks and arrange rooms or furniture for lunch and rest periods.
- Support cook in meal preparation.
- Assist with proper eating, dressing and toilet routines.
- Maintain daycare equipment and assist in housekeeping duties.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Provide a safe and nurturing environment.
- Ability to multi -task and follow classroom routines and schedules.
- Other duties as required.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume and three (3) current references, position open until filled:
Jennifer Lalonde, Human Resources Manager
North Bay Indigenous Hub - Giiwedno Mshkikiiwgamig
1040 Brookes Street
North Bay, ON P1B 2N6
T: (705) 995-0060
Miigwetch to all who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Preference will be given to qualified Indigenous applicants. However, the position is open to all applicants.